Wednesday, January 16, 2008

But I Don't Want To

Today as I read Genesis 39-41 and Luke 16 I was overwhelmed with one thought, I don't want to. At the outset I was not sure if that was God teaching me something, or how I was feeling about my day. As I probed deeper in the Scriptures and my own heart I found that God was teaching me something. All too often I find God putting opportunities in my path that I do not always see as opportunities, they are seen more as a distraction at best. It is very interesting to me how much I am driven to live life on my terms. How determined I am that things will work out the way I want them to. Enter Joseph. I am sure his life was not on the course he thought it would be. Sold into slavery by his brothers, falsely accused of raping Potiphar's wife, and sitting in prison for years. When he was a young boy dreaming God's dreams, literally, they painted a much different picture than what he was living. Not once do we have record of Joe complaining about the fairness of the situation. We don't find Joe grumbling that he doesn't want to do this or that. At every turn we find a man of God who seems resigned to live life on God's terms, not his. If that meant making the most of being betrayed by family, being falsely accused, if than meant being forgotten about in prison by someone you helped.

I find in my life there are things I need to do that I do not want to do. There are changes in my life I really don't want to make. What this means in my life is that it is time to dust off that Doctoral application and get to work. How about your life? What does it mean in your life to live on God's terms? What is it you know God is calling you to, but you have been putting off because you don't want to?

No comments: