Monday, May 11, 2009

Times of Refreshing

Last week my blogging was pretty quiet. I did not post here, or on the Cortland UMC Scripture Journey very much. This is not because I had writers block or was not interested. I was away on retreat. Each year my covenant group goes away for a few days to pray, play, talk and offer support for each other.

All of us realized there were many things pulling at us to not have this time apart. Each of us at different times was distracted by things left undone, or that we felt the need to be at. The question kept coming to me was if not now, then when. If I would not take time now to slow down and refresh, then when would I do it? The answer, there is never a good time.

About halfway through the first day I realized I was in rough shape and did not even know it. I had some issues I was wrestling with, and I had no clue how deeply they were effecting all aspects of my life. I had slowed down enough to look in places I did not want to look. I am not saying that I have those things all figured out. I will never have it all figured out. I was however able to release those things, so I could once again experience freedom.

When we get stuck in the trap of doing, we lose sight of being. I had been so busy with good things I had lost sight of what it meant to be the person God made me to be. Every effort on my part was to prove my worth by doing. This will only leave me tired, worn out and empty. The time of refreshing helped me to be.

No comments: