Thursday, September 11, 2008

Nickel Mines

I have just begun reading the book Amish Grace by Donald B. Kraybill, Steven M. Nolt and David L. Weaver-Zercher. The book is based on the Amish response, or reaction to the school shooting in Nickel Mines pa, on October 2, 2004. I have always been intrigued by the simplicity of the Amish people. They work hard in their lives, yet the simplicity of their lives is often attractive to me. Even more attractive is their deep and abiding connection with God. Their entire life is an act of walking with God.

Some would say that October day was an end to innocence for the Amish people, but I do not think that to be true. If anything it was a realization, or even a justification for the way they live their lives. There is a knowledge of what can corrupt the soul of a person, and that those things are to be avoided. The aversion to technology and 'modern convenience' are not out of a simple preference. The aversion is because of a deep understanding of the profound impact those modern things have on our lives. That day was no lose of anything but the lives of 5 dear children of God.

I am not about to give up my technology, my phone, computer, car, television, etc... I do however think it is time for us to do a real good examination. What are the impacts these modern tools of life have had on our souls. I know my life is at a higher pace than need be, but more than the physical. How much of God am I missing because of the way I live, aided by those modern tools?

No comments: