Monday, June 9, 2008

I have just finished reading Ecclesiastes as a part of my daily reading. Once again I was struck by the repeated claim that it is all meaningless. Understanding the wisest man to ever live was the originator of the information, adds to the confusion. But when the layers are peeled back we get another look which I think important for us today.

The things listed as meaningless appear to have great value. In fact in our day-to-day lives we ascribe great value to things which are classified as meaningless by Solomon. Most of the things we place value on, and therefore worry about, will simply pass away. That is an extremely humbling thought. The car I hope will last for 25 years, in the end will fail, the flat screen TV, which I am convinced will improve the quality of my life, will pass away. Everything save one will pass away. The constant which will not pass, God, the Creator.

Which leads to a dangerous question, do I value God more than any other thing in my life? In a world of making sound investments, wouldn't it make sense to invest in the only thing that will last. It might seem easier to put our investment in the stock market, oil futures are a good choice, or we might pout our trust in government, some will only trust themselves. In the end all of it will pass away. If we invest our lives in God, through Jesus Christ, empowered by the Holy Spirit, we are investing in that which will not rust and decay.

Now this investment means work. We must stay connected with God (John 15), we must follow the lead of God, and we must trust God fully.

No comments: