Thursday, May 29, 2008

Community

I am always amazed by the fact that what we crave most remains out of our reach because we are in the way. The craving that all human beings long to have satisfied is the need for community. I long to have someone know me beyond the roles in my life. I long to have someone know me warts, wounds and all. Yet I often put up barriers to that happening. Still the craving rages.

In this mystical thing called the church, the intention is that we would be a community unlike any other community on the face of the planet. The good news is, we deliver. The bad news, the product we deliver is often far a field from the design of Christ. Unfortunately there is often more authentic community in the local bar or pub.

So how do we recapture the first love of community? Repentance. We must come before the throne of God, lay our lives bare.

I come to God and you, Broken, and in need of a Savior. Anybody else?

No comments: