Thursday, May 15, 2008

Where Are You Being Lead?

I have heard the quote many times, I am sure you have too, "God has put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things before I die. Right now I am so far behind I will never die." There are some obvious truths to this statement. First God has intention in our creation. We are placed here on earth for a specific set of reasons. We were not created by happenstance. Second, God expects us to do what we have been placed here to do. There is a glaring, and I know comical, error. We are all going to die. The human mortality rate is 100%, 1 out of 1 human beings dies. This is true even if we have not done the work God placed us here to do.

More people than not have wrestled with the question of what God has placed them on earth to do. There are some overarching answers, such as worship God, and be in relationship with God. I am willing to guess that we all would like to get a little more specific than that. So how do we know? In short, we don't. We do not know what the Lord has in store for us tomorrow, but each day God guides us in what we need to do that day, in preparation for tomorrow. I am convinced we do not find a once and for all direction or purpose. If we are staying connected with God, as we grow, God instills in us different passions in accordance with the development of our faith journey. Therefore we must daily listen for the voice of God, and then do what we are being lead to do.

What is God leading you to today?
This questions consumes most of my mornings. There is an answer for today, but there is also an answer for this season of my life. I hesitate to say where God is leading me because if misunderstood or misinterpreted could come off as arrogant and proud, and that is not company I wish to keep. Having said that, i feel God is leading me to bring about great change in the life of the church. I don't mean just making some subtle shifts, I am talking Martin Luther proportion. On a daily basis my heart breaks for the state of the church, specifically the church in the United States. I cannot tell the number of times I have wept over the church. This emotion and passion, I feel, is God stirring my soul to do something about the state of the church in our country. So each day I make myself available to God, so that He can build my character in his name. My drive and passion is that the Name of Christ would be made great not mine. This takes training, because there are days when I want the earthly glory, but that glory dies when I do. The glory of God lasts forever, and the work I do for that glory will endure.

No comments: