Sunday, May 18, 2008

For Now or Forever

Lets face it we all have pretty busy lives. There are always more things to get done in a day than there is day to get them done. At the end of each day if we choose to we can look back and determine all the things we should have done. This leads to one of life's most important questions, how do I decide what to do? There are somethings in life that simply must happen. There are obligations in life that given, like caring for children, job, food, shelter etc. What is not given is how we go about accomplishing these given tasks or obligations. To answer the important question, I think another question is needed. "Am I building for today, or for eternity?" We must wrestle to see if we are only interested in immediate gratification, or if we are looking for the really long haul. It is important to realize when we are choosing to build our life around things that will die when we do, or if we are building things that will outlast us. You guessed it, we are talking about legacy.

Today I do not have a question for us to wrestle with directly. Part of this is due to the fact I am just not up to it today. I have had a rough couple of days, and if i were to write much more, I would run the risk of being trite and inauthentic, not something I want. Therefore, I will leave us all to wrestle with the question, are we building for now or forever?

No comments: