Friday, August 8, 2008

Fear

I have been reading the book Walking with God by John Eldredge and it has been of great help in my journey. One of the areas which has been particularly helpful has been in the area of prayer. By asking God what to pray for and what is going on around me. In particular what spirits are working against me and the church I lead.

Earlier this week I asked God what spirit was at work in the church I serve, the answer, Fear. I have to admit I was not sure what that meant at first. So, I asked God to tell me more. Our God is faithful and He told me. The people of the church, myself included were being told by the Enemy, that giving ourselves totally to God would never really work. That in the end it would reach tragic results. I feel like we have begun to fear what might happen if we "let ourselves go" during our times of community worship.

Fear is an amazing thing. I am not sure if there is another spirit or emotion which can steal away our joy more quickly or more effectively. Fear is what reduces that voice saying it will never work. Fear is the voice that says go ahead and try you are just going to fail. Fear is what causes us to follow the rules, and not step into the unknown. Fear is what keeps us right where we are at. I wonder if it is God who wants us to stay right where we are at, or if it might be God's great adversary?

Lord God, I pray in the name of Jesus that you would come against the spirit of fear in my life in the church I serve, and the lives of the individuals who read this blog. May we know the joy of you God, may we not believe the lie. Through the power of Christ remove fear from the equation. In Jesus Name, Amen

No comments: