Monday, August 25, 2008

Grind it Out

There have been times when the journey of faith has seemed to come easy. Times when my daily disciplines are easy and require little battle for the time and attention. There are times when walking with God seems to be as simple as getting out of bed. Then there is the majority of time. Most of the time the battle begins when my eyes open and I am confronted with getting out of bed.

There are also days when it is more than a battle. Days of great battle are not many, yet they do come into my life. These are the times when almost everything sounds better than getting into the scriptures. Days when I would rather do literally nothing, rather than spend time in prayer. There are those days when the last thing I want to do is seek God much less listen for the work of God.

So what am I to do on such days. My first thought is to give up. While that is an option open to me, it is not an option I like to entertain for too long. In these times of struggle and battle I find it is time to simply grind it out. I realize this is not the picture of our journey with God we like, but there are times that is the best we can do. Perhaps it is my failing that I do not have a relationship with God which is always close and deep with God. Nonetheless, the relationship I have is one where there are days of closeness and days of distance. I know that it is not God who moves, but days I need to return to God.

As you might guess, today is one of those days when I am grinding it out. My hope is by putting on the table, it will only last a for the day. Tomorrow is a new day, and a new opportunity to engage God.

No comments: